Orbit Weapons are remote weaponry that "orbit" in the air and fire autonomously at any target within range. Although generally used on Armored Cores, it is not uncommon to see MT's or other units outfitted with similar devices. This weapon comes in two types: Orbit Cannons and Exceed Orbit.
First appearing in Armored Core 2, these are back weapons that launch miniature autonomous weapon pods which self-destruct upon depletion of their energy supply. They cannot be targeted by weapon systems but they can be destroyed if physical contact is made with the orbit weapon. There are two known types of orbit cannons: one follows a target, while the other type remains floating and stationary upon being launched from the cannon. The first version is weaker than the second, but makes up for this by aggressively pursuing their intended target, with three usually being launched at once. In Armored Core: Silent Line, a weapon arm version of pursuit Orbit cannons was introduced.
Orbit Cannons work best against slower and larger targets where they are more easily able to target the enemy and land a successful shot. If the enemy in question is too massive, however, the orbit cannon may be launched too close to the target and be destroyed with contact. Against faster targets, the cannons have difficulty landing shots. The best defense for any non-heavy and tank legs is to simply boost quickly in a single direction until the orbit cannons run out of energy, although dodging these like this could leave you distracted from other attacks.
Exceed Orbit weapons are a type of core function that debuted in Armored Core 3. These emerge from the users core in place of an Overboost and follow the AC using it, providing additional support. These range from weak, fast firing machine gun-like rounds, to heavy cannon shots. They also vary in ammo type, from solid rounds with limited ammo, to energy rounds that can regenerate their ammo count but constantly drain energy whilst in use. Solid EO's cannot regenerate their ammo upon depletion and become useless until the next mission.
- Huntress, AC3 - A highly successful MT pilot who later becomes a Raven. She uses an AC that focuses on energy weaponry, including orbit cannons.
- Prominence, Silent Line - Water Hazard uses almost exclusively orbit weapons.
- Caspian, AC:Nexus AC:LR - A prominent member of the Alliance Tactical Unit whose attack style is heavily reliant on orbit weapon usage.
(C05-SELENA EO Core, and WB260-HARPY respectively)
- Evangel, Armored Core: Nexus-Armored Core: Last Raven- Is a Raven in Raven's Ark and the commander of Alliance's Tactical Unit. His AC, Oracle, uses EO cores (GAEA in Armored Core: Nexus and CR-C89E in Armored Core: Last Raven respectively).
- Filial, AC2 - The second form of the weapon used by Leos Klein uses a standard Orbit Cannon.
- IBIS, Silent Line - On its "wings" are docks for 8 Exceed Orbit units that fire simultaneously either laser shots or constant lasers. This is the largest number of Exceed Orbit pods any unit has ever had a once.
- Pulverizers, AC:LR - Hover Leg Pulverizers use a peculiar and power form of a orbit cannon.
- Nine-ball Seraph, Another Century Episode: R - On its shoulders are orbit cannons that launch up to 8, powerful and versatile orbit units that have multiple methods of function, such as acting similarly Exceed Orbit but actually orbiting the AC, and have multiple modes of firing with either bursts of laser shots or a powerful constant beam. Also their movement is also faster and less restricted than all other orbit weapons. They are even able to return from where they launched.
- Gray Cloud, AC2AA - An Orbit Cannon that launches 6 weapon pods at targets behind cover.
- Arms Fort Sol Dios Orbit, AC4A - Has docks for up to 6 Sol Dios cannons that move exactly like units launched from Orbit Cannons.
List of Orbit WeaponsEdit
- Orbit cannons are very similar to the Bits technology and other remote weaponry from the Gundam franchise.
- Sol Dios Cannons can be considered the largest Orbit weapons in Armored Core
- The Orbit weapons on the ACE:R variant of Nine-ball Seraph are possibly the most mobile and powerful orbit weapons by far.
- There are absolutely no usable Orbit weapons in the Armored Core 4 Universe, and the only example of a equivalent of the technology in the entire game is the Sol Dios Orbit.
- An equivalent of Orbit Weapons in Armored Core V are Sentry Launchers and Auto-Attack guns.
- Despite being classified as a cannon, you don't kneel to fire an Orbit Cannon without Human PLUS/OP-INTENSIFY.